measures

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Fri Oct 10 14:28:38 UTC 1997

At 11:50 AM 10/10/97 +0200, you wrote:
>Bonjour,
>
>In a commentary I found these words which seem to be names of measures:
>
>- ma.n.dala
>- kumbhaka
>- vi'sopa
>- rajju
>- vii.n.dya or viigha
>- hala
>- nakha
>
>Does anyone have ever seen these names of measure and know a reference
>book where I could get informations ?
>
>Thank you.
>--
>François Patte.
>
>UFR de mathématiques et informatique
>45 rue des St Pères
>75270 Paris Cedex 06
>
>Tel: 01 44 55 35 59
>http://www.math-info.univ-paris5.fr/~patte

The following usage is there in our parts
ma.n.dala or maNDala - 40 days

vINDya(vii.n.dya) or vIgha(viigha). This apears to be the origin of
Hindi word bIghA which is used as a measure of land area, similar to
acre or hectare.

kumbhaka - Appears to be a measure of volume. Apte's Dictionary mentions
a measure `kumbha' which is equal to twenty drOnas.

rajju - Can be a measure of length similar to the English measure
chain(=66ft.).

nakha - Apte's Dictionary gives the meaning of number 20.

Hope it will be of help.

sarma.