looking for software

Birgit Kellner kellner at IPC.HIROSHIMA-U.AC.JP
Wed Oct 8 15:02:51 UTC 1997

Forgive me for asking this not particularly Indological question - can
anybody recommend any Windows-based programs which can search multiple
data-files,
even in different directories, for the occurrence of words or phrases?
Preferably, such a program should be flexible in the way it handles both
data-input and -output, so that I could, for instance, specify "IF the
string such-and-such is found, show me what's before and what's after up
to the delimiting character ANSI 0124". As for input, it should be able
to handle ANY ANSI-characters by their numbers, in other words, it
should kindly allow me to look for diacritics. Our department mostly
uses Macs, and there is a search-program called "bochi"(in Japanese)
which comes pretty close (expect for the diacritics), but I've not yet
found anything on a Windows-platform which would be both effective and
affordable.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated,

Birgit Kellner
Department of Indian Philosophy