chAndogya upaniSad 1.1.8 and 8.3.5

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.VSNL.NET.IN
Mon Oct 6 09:05:16 UTC 1997

At 10:52 PM 10/5/97 +0200, you wrote:
>At 3:51 +0200 5/10/97, DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA wrote:
>
>>As far as Keith's comment is concerned, we Hindus consider that
>>a jIvanmukta cannot be judged by ordinary mortals and their laws.
>>This may sound very odd to western minds. But that is that.
>
>        I suppose Mr Sarma is 'we Hindus' and, as a great racist leader, he
>give a lesson to all the poor 'western minds' and 'ordinary mortals' (I'm
>one of them). I accept lessons from Indians or Westerners, but just from
>gurus.
>        I'm happy that most of Indian people are, just like me, ordinary
>mortals and I send them my best regards,
>Dominique
>
>Dominique THILLAUD
>Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France

The word `ordinary people' includes all who are not jIvanmukTas, whether
Hindu or any other. The very word 'jIvanmukTa' implies that he is not
bound by all that binds ordinary people, which includes Hinduism also.
There can be jIvanmukTas anywhere. For example, we hear about Meister
Eckhart.

        na mE pArthAsti kartavyam triSu lOkESu kinchana
        nAnavAptamavAptavyam vartE Eva cha karmaNi.
                                                        gita 3.22

Here we can take that Lord Krishna is talking about the state of jIvanmukta.

        zAntah mahAntO nivasanti santah
        vasantvallOkahitam charantah
        tIrNassvayam bhImabhavArNavam janA-
        nahEtunAnyAnapi tArayantah.             vivEkaChUDamaNi-sankara

sarma.