chAndogya upaniSad 1.1.8 and 8.3.5

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at GLOBALXS.NL
Mon Oct 6 18:36:35 UTC 1997

>The word `ordinary people' includes all who are not jIvanmukTas, whether
>Hindu or any other. The very word 'jIvanmukTa' implies that he is not
>bound by all that binds ordinary people, which includes Hinduism also.
>There can be jIvanmukTas anywhere. For example, we hear about Meister
>Eckhart.

>        na mE pArthAsti kartavyam triSu lOkESu kinchana
>        nAnavAptamavAptavyam vartE Eva cha karmaNi.
>                                                        gita 3.22

the problem however is, that if entities are not bound by human restrictions
and their motives are beyond human understanding, they're as obsolete as a
perpetuum mobile. whatever they'll do will be completely unreasonable and
accidental to humans. maybe the wales are jIvan mukTas: we'll never know!
Meister Eckhart cannot have been a jIvanmukTa, because he knew very well he
was human and bound by human restrictions and laws, but he didn't mind.
next time you see a jIvanmukTa you better cut his troat

-erik