mathematics ?

Dominique.Thillaud thillaud at unice.fr
Mon May 19 14:06:54 UTC 1997

At 11:46 +0200 19/05/97, Lars Martin Fosse wrote:
>Nice to see some mathematics on this channel! Actually, I think that your
>observation is well worth looking into. The number 3 is sacred, and the
>ancient Indians (and not only them) had a thing for mystique. Indologists
>with an interest in mathematics or numerology might find something of
>interest here.      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	I'm sorry but that's not mathematics, just elementary arithmetic
and the numerology is a pseudo-science without any rapport with mathematics.
	Mathematics in India are represented by many very good scholars, as
RAghavan NarasiMhan from Bombay, laureat of the Fields Medal (the eqivalent
of the Nobel for the mathematicians).
	The combinations of few arithmetical operators with any numbers are
so numerous that we can find easily many 'miraculous' properties.
	Give me any number and in few time I'll proof it is 'sacred', I'll
predict your future and show it is linked to a fundamental physical
constant.
	Else I'll pay you 10 $ for an akvavit to my health!
Friendly,
	Dominique

Dominique THILLAUD
Universite' de Nice Sophia-Antipolis, France