churki / China & India

David R. Israel davidi at wizard.net
Sat Mar 29 17:58:46 UTC 1997

> From:          Swami Vishvarupananda writes --

> I know a pandit whose churki was tied (by a rope) to a hook by his
> grandfather while teaching him, so that he had to sit straight and
> stay put! That happened many years ago, of course.

You know, something comparable is found in old Chinese tradition.
The que [?] worn by Mandarins -- it was, I believe, originally
introduced & enforced by the domineering Mongols, and marked the
Chinese bureaucrats under their charge as a a sort of subsurvient
class, if I'm not mistaken; but anyway, as such things do, it caught
on . . . [I don't really know the history, what I'm here for is to
share the comparative anecdote that follows] -- the que was certainly
associated, it seems, with the whole scholarly gestalt; and there are
some classic tales very much like the above --

but the typical instance is found in a sort of morality anecdote,
involving a highly dedicated student studying for the inevitable
national examination (the entryway to all official positions) -- who,
in late-night (or all-night) sessions of study, will tie his que by
rope to (say) the ceiling -- SO THAT, if he should doze off, he'll be
awakened by the tug on the ponytail [imprecise, this] and wake up &
get back to the business of studiousness.  That became a well-known &
prevalent image, and prob. appears all over the place in literary
allusions.  So, a cultural-comparative note, that.  I don't know if
there's any sort of historical relationship between the Brahmanical &
the Mandarin verssions of this -- or even if they're physically very
closely comparable.  But it's interesting that in both cases, there's
a cultural association with study & scholarship.
 .
 |   thy centuries follow each other
 |   perfecting a small wild flower
 |                                       (Tagore)