German Indology

Boris Oguibenine oguibeni at monza.u-strasbg.fr
Tue Mar 4 19:59:20 UTC 1997

On Fri, 21 Feb 1997 19:05:43 GMT, John Brockington wrote:

>I would just like to add, as a British Indologist, how useful if have found the list
>produced by Professor Schlingloff in keeping track of my German-speaking colleagues and
>how pleased I am to have received copies of it in the past.   Its practical value is
>immense.  I only wish that there were as convenient lists for other groups of
>Indologists.  Perhaps the listings in process of compilation by the IIAS at Leiden will
>go some way towards it, although inevitably any publication will be bulkier and so less
>convenient to handle, since all of Asian Studies will be covered.
>
>.
>John Brockington
>
>Dr J. L. Brockington
>Department of Sanskrit
>University of Edinburgh
>7 Buccleuch Place
>Edinburgh   EH8 9LW     U.K.
>
>tel: +31 650 4174
>fax: +31 650 6804

My comment: I am very grateful to Prof. Schlingloff for the booklet German
Indologists which I found very useful. I confess that I have had no grim
thought while perusing it! Just for information: about three or four
years ago Russian Academy published two huge volumes on Orientalists in
Russia, much alike to Prof. Schlingloff's work. I do not know yet about any
adverse reaction towards this Russian publication.

Boris Oguibenine
oguibeni at monza.u-strasbg.fr