Aeronautics in Ancient India?

sudheer birodkar sudheer_birodkar at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 27 04:38:41 UTC 1997

Dear Mr. Dominique,

I am both amused and bemused by your reply.

I have no desire to start any debate. My only desire in sending that
mail on Vimana Shastra was to examine if at all there is any proof of
the existence of such devices in ancient times in all cultures. And as I
happen to be an Indian, I am more familiar with Indian History.Hence the
query in the context of India.

But that does not make me any less a connoisseur of say French History.
Had I been French, I would have done the same with French history as
then I would have been more familiar with french History without any
bias against anyone.

Though this is not the subject of the present mail, I should mention
here that I have also keenly studied French History of the period of the
revolution till Napoleon, and as a student, was for quite some time
under the spell of Rousseau's "Social Contract" and Voltaire's Lettres
Philosophiques and Candide. To get a better feel of French history, I
had also learnt French for two years. Although it has been many years
since my dalliance with French history, it did make me a francophile of
sorts for some time.

You seem to have mistaken my query about the Vimana Shastra as a threat
to non-Indians with some device Indians had and they could resurrect to
destroy "enemies. Far from the point.

I consider myself to be as much French, "Mon Ami" as any other, As much
British, or American, Chinese, Russian - for that matter.

Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam "The World is my Family" is what any sensible
individual will believe in - I certainly do and hope so do you.

Hope this mail clears any misunderstanding that my mail seems to have
created in your mind.

Au Revoir

Sudheer
_____________

Sudheer Birodkar,
Mumbai (Bombay) 400 063.
INDIA. Tel: +91-22-8733827.

Asatoma_Sad_Gamaya,
Tamasoma_Jyotir_Gamaya.

Lead me from falsehoods to Truth,
And from Ignorance to Enlightenment.

>From indology-request at liverpool.ac.uk Thu Jun 26 11:16:25 1997
>Date: Thu, 26 Jun 1997 18:35:22 BST
>Sender: indology-request at liverpool.ac.uk
>From: "Dominique.Thillaud" <thillaud at unice.fr>
>To: Members of the list <indology at liverpool.ac.uk>
>Subject: Re: Aeronautics in Ancient India?
>
>At 14:31 +0200 26/06/97, sudheer birodkar wrote:
>>Pranaam,
>>
>>I am looking for information on aeronautics in ancient
>>India. I am told that there is a book called Brihat Vimana
>>Samahita in Sanskrit. I am looking for more information on this
>>subject. Can someone throw light on any Sanskrit literature (or
>>English Translations of any Sanskrit treatise) in this area of
>>study.
>>
>>I hear that in the year 1911, a device based on this oral tradition
was
>>constructed and was flown at Mumbai Chowpatty in the presence of many
>>people, including Lokmanya Tilak. This was reported in the Tarun
Bharat