Aeronautics in Ancient India?

sudheer birodkar sudheer_birodkar at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 26 12:22:58 UTC 1997

Pranaam,

I am looking for information on aeronautics in ancient
India. I am told that there is a book called Brihat Vimana
Samahita in Sanskrit. I am looking for more information on this
subject. Can someone throw light on any Sanskrit literature (or
English Translations of any Sanskrit treatise) in this area of
study.

I hear that in the year 1911, a device based on this oral tradition was
constructed and was flown at Mumbai Chowpatty in the presence of many
people, including Lokmanya Tilak. This was reported in the Tarun Bharat
Newspaper.

Could the legend of the Pushpak Vimana mentioned in the Ramayana be
based on some factual device made
and  used in ancient India?

Subham~astu

Sudheer