ATalpaRRu (VEnkata Narayana Sarma)

Ulrike Niklas u.niklas at uni-koeln.de
Tue Jun 10 08:39:39 UTC 1997

Hello,
thank you very much for your information.
In this case, though, ATalpaRRu refers to adaptations of classical
(Tamil) texts for the use in "kUttu", i.e. "plays" (in different forms).
In this very special case, it seems to refer mainly to adaptations of
KambarAmAyaNa for shadow-puppet-plays (in Central Kerala - that is at
least, what is given in a remark on one manuscript I have with me ...)

"ATalpaRRu" seems to be a general term for that specific genre of
folk-literature. - Sorry I was so less explicit in my query: but most of
the facts given here I learnt by and by after I had sent my query.

Still, I am searching for bibliographical references on theses type of
texts: has something been written *ABOUT* this genre? Or, are printed
editions available?

Greetings, ULRIKE