brahmin divisions

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at hd1.vsnl.net.in
Tue Jun 10 04:16:28 UTC 1997

My mother tongue is telugu and I am more than 60 years old. I can
vouch for the fact that in spoken (as well as written) telugu
the word "kumbhakONam" is synonymous with "skulduggery" and
"intrigue". Thus a sentences like "He did some kumbhkONam" and
"There is some kumbhakONam in this" mean that "He did some
some skulduggery" and "There is some trickery in this".
Considering that I know this usage of the word from my childhood
this reputation for kumbhakONam must be quite old. It could be
due to the pilgrims tricked by the priests of KumbhakONam. I
think one has to go into the origin of this reputation and find
out the exact reasons for such reputation.

Sarma.