Krsna: contested narratives.

mrabe at artic.edu mrabe at artic.edu
Sat Jul 12 13:19:34 UTC 1997

>>I am looking for renditions of the K.r.s.na story from outside
>>Puranic/Epic/Vaishnava literature (ie from Buddhist, Jain, Shaivite or
>any
>>other sources).
>>Can anyone kindly assist me with any references?
>>
>>Thanks.   Edwin Bryant
>
> I suddenly remembered something that I saw/read about a long time a
>long time ago: There is a  strong Krishna tradition that originated/
>still alive in Bali in Indonesia.

The above discussion suddenly reminds me too that mention way made of a
Buddhist jataka variant on some facet of Krishna's life.  Checking my HD
memory, this is all I can recover: Jim Hartzell
<jh at cubsps.bio.columbia.edu>, in 1995 a graduate student at Columbia
university, was the source of this information, but I never followed up to
acquire the actual citation.

Michael Rabe