Translation of RV 10.146.6

Palaniappa at aol.com Palaniappa at aol.com
Sat Jul 5 17:12:48 UTC 1997

Can anybody give the correct translation of RV 10.146.6? I have seen four
versions.

"AraNyAnI is lauded by the worshipper as the mother of wild, the
unctuous-scented, the fragrant, who fields abundance of food though has no
hinds to till her."  Translated by V. Muir

"Now have I praised the Forest Queen,
sweet-scented, redolent of balm,
The Mother of all sylvan things, who tills
not but hath stores of food." Translated by R. T. Griffith

"Adorned with fragrant perfumes and balms,
she needs not to toil for food.
Mother of untamed forest beasts,
Sprite of the wood, I salute you." by Translated by R. Panikkar

"Now I have praised the Lady of the Forest,
who is perfumed with balm, and fragrant,
who is well-fed, although she tills not,
the mother of all things of the wild."  Translated by A. L. Basham

Is there a translation accepted by Vedists as the best translation? Thanks in
advance.

Regards

S. Palaniappan