A meter in the Bhagavata Purana

B. Reusch reusch at uclink4.berkeley.edu
Tue Jan 21 21:58:15 UTC 1997

A collegue who is not on any online discussion list has asked if I can post
up the following for him. His dissertation is due soon and a little last
minute help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Svicchaabhih.
Beatrice

>> It's about a poetic meter that I have found in the Bhagavata that I
>>cannot identify.  The meter is clearly within the trishtubh category (11
>>syllables per pada), but Apte does not identify its specific type within
>>this category in the rather comprehensive listing in the back of The
>>Practical Sanskrit-English Dictionary of poetic meters.  Here is the
>>pattern with letter abbreviations (L = laghu or light syllable; G = guru
>>or long or heavy syllable; / = gana or divider of syllable groups)
>>indicating the pattern of light and heavy syllables within the pada of
>>this particular verse:
L L L / G L G / G L G / L G
This pattern appears prominently in the 31st chapter of the tenth book of the
Bhagavata, verses 1 through 18.  Is this metrical pattern an  unidentified
pattern, or is there a source for identifying this specific pattern in this
important chapter of the Bhagavata, and if so, what is the source and what is
this pattern called?
Graham