Devanagari for the Mac

Joel Tatelman tatelman at total.net
Fri Jan 17 18:22:26 UTC 1997

Raymond Prevereau asks about devanagari fonts for the Macintosh operating
system.

I recommend MacBilingual Devanagari 7.02 (though there is now probably a
newer version), available from Ecological Linguistics, P.O. Box 15156,
Washington, D.C. 20003, U.S.A.

Ecological Linguistics has fonts for dozens of Asian scripts, including
most of those used in SE Asia, the various scripts used in modern Indian
languages, the major East Asian scripts, etc. Most are available for the
Mac and PC, though a few are Mac-only.

I must also acknowledge that I last dealt with E.L. a couple of years ago.

I concur with Raymond's high evaluation of the devanagari font for OzTex
but like him, demur from using OzTex. In any case, if not quite as
elegant, the E.L. font is well-designed and easier to use than some other
fonts I've tried. The E.L. fonts are normal Postscript or TrueType fonts
and will work with any word processor or page layout application.

Regards,

Joel.

Joel Tatelman
#2-293A Roncesvalles Ave.