German Indology

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann reimann at uclink.berkeley.edu
Fri Feb 21 23:39:51 UTC 1997

Dear members of the Indology list,

Now that Schlingloff's list has caused somewhat of a stir, I would like to
ask our German (or German speaking) colleagues their opinion concerning the
use of the term Indo-Germanic, as opposed to Indo-European.

I am puzzled by the fact that the English translation of Hermann Kulke's and
Dietmar Rothermund's book on Indian history (A History of India, Routledge,
1995) uses the term Indo-Germanic instead of Indo-European, which is the
usual term in English.  The translation, by the way, was made by Rothermund
(if I am reading the preface correctly).
I would appreciate any comments.

Luis Gonzalez-Reimann
University of California, Berkeley