Topography

Royce Wiles Royce.Wiles at ANU.EDU.AU
Wed Dec 17 22:28:33 UTC 1997

For place names in Jain texts a very good place to start is the two volume:

Prakrit proper names / compiled by Mohanlal Mehta and K. Rishabh Chandra :
edited by Dalsukh Malvania. Ahmedabad : LD Institute of Indology, 1970-72.
(Still in print and available from the Institute or booksellers in India.)

This was prepared on a similar plan to the dictionary of Pali proper names
(which might also be worth a look), I just looked up Vipula as a sample:

"A mountain situated near Rayagiha. Titthayara Mahavira's disciples Khamdaa
and Mehakumara performed Sallekhana and Mamkai Kimkamma, Kasava etc.
attained emancipation on this mountain." Then follow the five references to
older Jain texts for this entry ...

Royce Wiles