TASTE TERMS: SWEET

Nadejda Moiseeva Nadejda.Moiseeva at uni-konstanz.de
Sun Apr 27 10:33:10 UTC 1997

Dear colleagues,
I am doing a cross-linguistic survey of taste terms, and I would appreciate
your assistance with the following questionnaire, focusing on the taste term
‘sweet’.
Thanking you in advance,
N.Moiseeva

Language

Are you a native speaker?

Your name

How to contact you

A. Please translate these words and phrases. Provide alternative
translations if there are any, and gloss the translations where this helps
to understand them.

1. sugar is sweet

2. salt

3. sweet pie

4. sweet apple

5. sweet tea

6. fresh water (as opposed to salt or sea water)

7. full-fat milk (as opposed to low-fat or skimmed)

8. fresh milk (as opposed to sour)

9. non-salted butter

10. tasty soup

11. cooked ham

12. sweet potatoes

13. sweets

14. sweet cane

15. mild cheese

16. orange (the fruit)

17. ice-cream

18. good taste

19. cold food

20. sweet words

21. sweet baby

22. sweet heart

23. sweet life (dolce vita)

24. sweet-smelling

25. sharp knife

26. sound sleep

27. mild climate

28. brown (gold-brown, red-brown)

29. mellow colour

30. own sister

31. ring-finger

32. shin

B.  Could you mention any other uses of 'sweet' you can think of in this
language,  i.e. any other things that 'sweet' applies to?

Dr. Nadejda MOISEEVA
Universität Konstanz
Philosophische Fakultät
Fachgruppe Sprachwissenschaft