Universally applicable diacriticals

John Smith jds10 at cus.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 15 15:49:01 UTC 1997

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Mr B.Philip.Jonsson [Seeker of Useless Knowledge] wrote:

> At 10:30 15.4.1997 +0100, John Smith wrote:
>
> >high-quality lookalikes for Times, Palatino, and many other fonts are now
> >available as free software (as part of the Ghostscript package), it should
> >soon be posible to create and distribute legal, free fonts with any
> >desired set of accented characters.
>
> This is great good news indeed. Where can those be found? My customers
> always want diacriticized versions of Times, and I've had to pesuade them
> into using another font or strech my conscience...

As I said (and as you quote!), "*it should soon be posible* to create and
distribute legal, free fonts with any desired set of accented characters."
They do not yet exist. When they exist, I shall announce them to members
of Indology (and elsewhere).

John Smith

Dr J. D. Smith                *  jds10 at cam.ac.uk
Faculty of Oriental Studies   *  Tel. 01223 335140 (Switchboard 01223 335106)
Sidgwick Avenue               *  Fax  01223 335110
Cambridge CB3 9DA             *  http://bombay.oriental.cam.ac.uk/index.html