Blind men and elephants

a2795850 at smail1.rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE a2795850 at smail1.rrz.Uni-Koeln.DE
Wed Apr 2 14:17:07 UTC 1997

>Dear Indology netters,
>
>the following poem is based on an Indian text. On behalf of someone else, I
>have a couple of questions.
>
>1) Which Indian text relates the story of the blind men and the elephant?
>
>2) Where was J. G. Saxe's poem published? (Bibliographic data, please!)
>
>The poem goes like this:
>
>                              *******************

The story also appears in UdAna 6, 4 (p. 66-69) in the edition of THE  PALI
TEXT  SOCIETY.

A version of the same story is also to be found in the Massnavis of
Dschalaladdin Rumi, the persian poet who lived in the 13. c.
But sorry, I don't know exactly where to find it.

Best wishes,
Arash

Arash Zeini
e-mail: a2795850 at smail.rrz.uni-koeln.de