Blind men and elephants

David R. Israel davidi at wizard.net
Wed Apr 2 16:56:33 UTC 1997

To the question --
Lars Martin Fosse

> >1) Which Indian text relates the story of the blind men and the
> >elephant?

Anand Nayak replies:

> The story appears in some Theravada Buddhist  texts: v.g.
> Dirgha-agama, Lokaprajnaptisutra ( ed. of Taisho Issaikyo, No.1,
> pp.128-129).

and so far as I know, Gautama Buddha is the first identified source
for that famous allegorical tale.  However, it may well be that John
Godfrey Saxe's 19th century poem was inspired by some other version
down the long story-stream; off hand, the most likely alternative
candidate is probably the retelling of the tale by the great Sufi
teacher, Jelaluddin Rumi, in his oceanic book of stories *Mathnawi*.
(I don't know exactly where, in this classical Persian work, the tale
appears.)  I think one would not be incorrect in saying that the Pali
texts of the Buddha's teaching, on the one hand, and Mathnawi of
Rumi, on the other, represent the two great classical loci for this
tale of the elephant & the blind men.  Ralph Waldo Emerson, for one,
was wrote about the work of some Persians (Hafez in particular) -- I
don't recall if he made specific mention of Rumi, but he did seem
conversant in writings of several Persians; similarly, both he and
Henry David Thorou were students of Buddhism (etc.) -- so it seems
(in short) not implausible that a Bostonian of that era could have
acquainted this tale via either route . . .

d.i.
 .
 |   thy centuries follow each other
 |   perfecting a small wild flower