Gold-digging ants; and soma

Dr. S. Kalyanaraman MDSAAA48 at GIASMD01.VSNL.NET.IN
Wed Nov 27 09:57:07 UTC 1996

Hi,
pipIlika has two meanings: an ant; a kind of gold supposed to be collected
by ants(MBh.Kannada).
piippalanagara is the name of a town (Jules Bloch 368); pimpalner in
Maharashtra.
pipIla refers to an ant in RV (x.16.6); is a large black ant in Chandogya
Upanishad.
pipRi is a black ant in Santali language and in almost all Indian languages
with slight
phonetic stylizations.
pippalADa is the name of a school in Atharva Veda. pipIlavAdam, paipIlavAdam
is explained in
Sangam tamil as: a philosophical explanation of the atom as the cause of the
world.
An important ingredient in the soma process described in the vedic texts is the
earth from ant-hills.
I have suggested elsewhere that soma refers to electrum (gold-silver ore)
smelting.
The gold dug up by the ants could have an important bearing in this process.
Regards, Kalyanaraman.