Gold-digging ants; and soma

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Nov 27 13:29:53 UTC 1996

Kalyanaraman's message seems to combine several unrelated items into one.
The place-name Pimpalner is to be understood in Sanskrit as
Pippala-Nagara, where the first item refers to the Pippala tree, which is
rendered as PimpaL in Marathi.  Many Marathi place-names are connected
with trees, cf. Va.dagaav, Skt. va.tagraama.  Secondly, the Atharvavedic
name Paippalaada is unrelated to Pipiilikaa, but is again related to
Pippala + the verb atti in Sanskrit, cf. Upanishadic passage:  dvaa
supar.naa sayujaa sakhaayaa samaanam v.rk.sam pari.sasvajaate / tayor
anya.h pippalam svaadv atty ana"snann anyo abhicaaka"siiti //

	Madhav Deshpande