Gold-digging ants; and soma

Dr. S. Kalyanaraman MDSAAA48 at GIASMD01.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu Nov 28 05:59:45 UTC 1996

Hi,
It may also be added tha pIlikai also refers to an ant; pIlu in Skt and Kannada
is an atom; a worm. If we look at the photographs of the
vancouver island marmots, they look like small
bears. In Tamil pIrukam, pIlukam refers to a bear.
Yes, it ispossible that the place names may have derived from
pippala, the berry of ficus religiosa, cf. R.L.Turner.
What is a thread, what is brelated and what is not?
regards. Kalyanaraman.