Why not a definitive devnagri font

kellner at ue.ipc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp kellner at ue.ipc.hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Mar 19 07:07:02 UTC 1996

At 11:13 PM 96.3.18 +0000, Aditya, the Hindu Skeptic wrote:

>Whatever may be our personal preferences, it is indisputable that MS
>has beat all the other system. In the market place it is not always
>the best product that succeeds and I do not have to quote the
>examples.

Whatever may be the situation on the market - the Internet is supposed to
be a platform open to users of all sorts of systems (nobody mentioned OS/2
as yet, or those people who still stick to their old DOS-software), and
because, theoretically speaking, somewhere out there there might be users
who employ their own individual operating system, it's nonsense to step up
from a lowest common denominator-solution to one which would only apply to
Mac or Windows-users. Hence, I would strongly suggest that, until the
current lcd is replaced by one which allows for Devanagari, let's stick to
the present conventions.