Why not a definitive devnagri font

HaroldA at eworld.com HaroldA at eworld.com
Tue Mar 19 00:25:17 UTC 1996

----------------------------- Begin Original Text
-----------------------------

I would vote for using the Velthuis transliteration, which is simple, as good
as
any, and at least allows those with TeX or ITRANS to get Devanagari out of
the
text without too much fiddling.

I agree that trying to use a Devanaagari font would be practically
impossibly, given the fact that the scholars at each and every university
seem to have their own fonts and keyboard mappings, not to speak of the chasm
between Mac and PC users. What is the Velthius transliteration? Could you
simply post the varNamAla? E.g. a A i I, etc.? (Or is it a aa i ii? )
Yrs.
Harold F. Arnold