Right & Left

n.rao at rz.uni-sb.de n.rao at rz.uni-sb.de
Mon Mar 18 22:16:55 UTC 1996

Girish Behari wrote
>Hi,
>
>Something has been puzzling me for a long time and I wonder if anyone can
>help me out.
>
>Usually one comes across shlokas where the devi is placed at the left of the
>deva; e.g. :-
>
>niilaambujashyaamalakomalaN^gaM siitaa samaaropita vaama bhaagam.h |
>paaNau mahaasaayaka chaaru chaapaM namaami raamaM raghuva.nshanaatham.h ||
>
>and
>
>dakshine lakshmaNo yasya vaame tu janakaatmajaa |
>purato marutiryasya taM vande raghunandanam.h ||
>
>However, at the start of the ba.Daa bandii mochana one finds :-
>
>sadaa bhavaanii daahine sanmukha rahe.n gaNesha |
>paa.ncha deva rakshaa kare.n brahma vishhNu mahesha |
>
>Can someone please explain the difference? Many thanks beforehand.

Perhaps the sloution to your puzzle is simple:  in one case  husband and
wife are involved -  not so much devi and deva, and in another case
bhavaanii and her sons are involved.

Narahari Rao
Dr. B. Narahari Rao,                         F.R. 5.1. Philosophie,
Unversitaet des Saarlandes,
                                                            Postfach 15 11
50,  D-66041 Saarbruecken, Germany. (Tel: +49 681 302 2849)