Changes in INDOLOGY??

ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Sat Mar 9 15:17:02 UTC 1996

Dear Michael,

You mentioned installing a filter to weed out the spammed messages from
INDOLOGY.

>The following option has not been considered:
>
>The usual way to filter spamming out of mailing lists is to install a
>"filter", a custom script which scans incoming mail for keywords, and
>rejects a message if one or more keywords are found.Such scripts are very
>easy to write and install, and many are freely available, as usual, on the
>Internet.

You make a good point, but in fact, INDOLOGY is protected already by such
scripts, and a great deal of work is done by the staff at Liverpool, both
manually and with automatic routines, to keep rubbish off our list.  The
existing filter weeds out most of the subscription requests to indology (which
should be sent to listserv), for example.

However, I am told that such scripts, far from being easy to write and install,
are actually hard to write (well) and difficult to maintain.  And they don't
catch everything.  Spammers get cleverer too.

So the solution has to be more radical, I'm afraid.  I'm still thinking hard,
and talking to the technicians about the best way forward.  But don't worry, I
hope not to make INDOLOGY unpleasantly limited.

Dominik

--
Dominik Wujastyk