Vaikhanasa/at Lahore

witzel at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU witzel at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU
Sat Mar 9 01:26:55 UTC 1996

I do not think that the follwoing information on Lahore is correct:

On Fri, 8 Mar 1996, Dominik Wujastyk wrote:

> ....manuscript of Ananda Samhita.....
>  Punjab University Library (II. App, p.54, by Marici).
>
> The PUL copy, is part of the Woolner collection in Lahore, which has
> been unavailable since partition.
> --

This must be the *Indian* perception.

In fact some of my friends, Indian nationals included, have been there
during the past 20 years, and have found the Skt. MSS collection intact,
and the Pakistani Library staff very friendly and helpful.

Of course, the staff  had problems with (south) Indian scripts -- but who in
the north doesn't? (and often vice versa, see Ksemendra's Desopadesa on the
Bengali student in Kashmir, 900 years ago...).

Even the PUL catalogue was still on sale..

<< I vaguely remember: didn't someone publish a somewhat mispelled item
from PUL, Lahore on this list recently, information received directly
from LAHORE???>>

Thus, a visit to Lahore is worthwile, given the rich collection there;
much of it was collected by R.A. Sastry.

Hope this helps all interested in the PUL collection

Michael Witzel (witzel at husc3.harvard.edu)