Vaikhanasa/at Lahore

ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Sat Mar 9 15:25:24 UTC 1996

On Sat,  9 Mar 1996 02:17:23 GMT you wrote:

>I do not think that the follwoing information on Lahore is correct:
>
>> The PUL copy, is part of the Woolner collection in Lahore, which has
>> been unavailable since partition.
>> --
>This must be the *Indian* perception.

No, it is *my* perception.  I have repeatedly tried to get into contact by mail
with the authorities at the PUL library, Lahore, and I have never once receivied
a reply.  There may be a copy of the Vyadiyaparibhasavrtti in the library, and
in the 1980s I was understandably eager to include it in my edition of that
text.  However, I had heard from other non-Indian scholars that the MSS were
not, in actual practice, available, even when visiting.  I therefore judged
money spent travelling to Lahore as probably unjustifiable.  (Also, the one time
I tried to get to Lahore, I was refused a visa.  But that's another story....)
I know of a Sanskritist who has seen the library in the last few years, and says
that it was neat and well kept.  But getting microfilms or copies, or working on
the MSS was not possible, I was given to understand.

Our mileages seem to differ.

Dominik

--
Dominik Wujastyk