Changes in INDOLOGY

Eric Geer ericgeer at mindspring.com
Sat Mar 2 21:26:41 UTC 1996

At 01:53 PM 3/1/96 GMT, you wrote:

>Recent and continuing abuses and misuses of the INDOLOGY discussion
>group have led to a reexamination of the terms on which INDOLOGY is
>conducted.
>
>The abuses I have in mind fall into two categories: 1) spamming and 2)
>use of INDOLOGY bandwidth by vocal persons not qualified in the academic
>disciplines of indology, or for purposes not included in INDOLOGY's
>terms of reference.

>These changes to INDOLOGY will entail a certain amount of upheaval, I'm
>afraid.  It seems likely that in the near future we shall be asking all
>members to unsubscribe from INDOLOGY, and then to resubscribe.  This is
>necessary in order to address the problem of people whose email
>addresses have changed since they originally subscribed.

What will happen to those of us without "academic credentials" who neither
spam nor annoy the list members?  I read this and several other academic
lists in order to keep abreast of the fields and the current discourse.  I
don't contribute or ask questions, as I'm not really qualified, but I enjoy
and I learn.  In a way, I think that educated amateurs like me may be a
valuable link, although a quiet one, to the rest of the world.  I would miss
greatly your conversation if I were to be excluded.

respectfully,
Eric Geer