Changes in INDOLOGY

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 1 11:55:29 UTC 1996

Recent and continuing abuses and misuses of the INDOLOGY discussion
group have led to a reexamination of the terms on which INDOLOGY is
conducted.

The abuses I have in mind fall into two categories: 1) spamming and 2)
use of INDOLOGY bandwidth by vocal persons not qualified in the academic
disciplines of indology, or for purposes not included in INDOLOGY's
terms of reference.

Both of these problems have existed for a long time, but as a result of
rising membership numbers (over 450), and the general expansion
of the internet, the signal-to-noise ratio on INDOLOGY is becoming too
low.

In consultation with colleagues, I have decided that in the interests of
academic probity, quality, and focus, the INDOLOGY list will in future
be a closed list.  This means that people who have not subscribed to the
list will no longer be able to post messages to it.

I hope that this change will eliminate the spamming which has assailed
the list recently.  Vulnerabilities still exist, but the overall
situation should be ameliorated.

I am also discussing with colleagues methods for processing subscription
requests, as a means of addressing point 2) above.

These changes to INDOLOGY will entail a certain amount of upheaval, I'm
afraid.  It seems likely that in the near future we shall be asking all
members to unsubscribe from INDOLOGY, and then to resubscribe.  This is
necessary in order to address the problem of people whose email
addresses have changed since they originally subscribed.

Watch this space.

Sincerely,

Dominik Wujastyk

--

Wellcome Institute,
183 Euston Road,

FAX: +44 171 611 8545
email: d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk

For my PGP public key etc., see my WWW home page:
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/wujastyk.html