No subject

CVEDGC at Levels.UniSA.Edu.Au CVEDGC at Levels.UniSA.Edu.Au
Fri Mar 1 06:33:40 UTC 1996

For the past five weeks Australia is in the grip of national election
campaign.We have been subjected to debates concerning Australia's external debt
burden which currently runs at some 185 billion Australian dollars. The
governing party says it is not bad to have such debt level whereas the
opposition says it impedes economic growth. These exchanges reminded me of the
following shloka composed and recited in the Indian Parliament by the late C.D.
Deshmukh (Finance Minister in Pandit Nehru's cabinet and a Sanskrit scholar):
RuNakartA pitA Stru na tu mantri param tatha
RuNam duhkhAya putrNam raStrANam tu hitAya cha.