No subject

aditya at icanect.net aditya at icanect.net
Tue Mar 19 14:46:34 UTC 1996

apsss at uohyd.ernet.in (Dr Aloka Parasher-Sew)  has  recently written as
follows:
>Sudracara Siromani written by Sesakrsna (ed. by Gopinath Kaviraj 2vols
>Benares 1933 and 1936 ....The intorduction by Narayana Sastri Khiste
>informs us that Sesakrsna wrote this work in the time of Pilaji Rao,
>a king of Daksinatya. Further, he is also said to have written the
>Kamsavadham at the behest of Todarmal's son, Giridhari) --- states
>(1,68-69) that although ordinarily the sudras are not allowed samskaras,
by whom?
>an exception is made to this rule (pratiprasava) by allowing them the rights
>to perform the panchamahayajnas, sraddha, garbhadhana, namakarna,niskramana,
>annaprasana and karnavedha (ear-piercing
>.... It is further stated (i,79-80) that the karnavedha takes the
>place of the yajnopavita in the case of the sudras....
>This,in my opinion explains why a large number of Hindu males
>undergo a ear piercing ceremony and are proud of it..
I see nothing to proud of after reading this note about uncle tomism.
It is one thing to study the customs and history but to attach value
to them is a something different. If I were a shudra I would reject
any such humiliation with contempt.
Have a nice day.
Aditya Mishra
http://www.icanect.net/~aditya
The opinions expressed herein are continually mutating and*
might have already been changed  by the time you read them*
owing to the more recent information that became available*