Screen Fonts?

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Jan 18 11:37:34 UTC 1996

Lance Nelson said:

> Question: Why do the screen fonts designed for Sanskrit transliteration
> look so unfinished in Windows programs?
>
> I've downloaded two fonts: Dominic's CS Bitstream Charter and Jamie
> Hubbard's Sanskrit Times New Roman GE.  I've also tried Linguist's
> Software's TransIndic LS.  All true type for Windows, in Word Perfect
> 6.1, also tried in WinWord 6.0.  All of them print nicely, but look very
> uneven on screen, with some letters fatter than others, etc.  Am I doing
> something wrong?  Any advice appreciated.

I think the problem here is probably to do with font hinting.  I can't
speak for Jamie's fonts, which I haven't seen, but when Peter and I were
looking at the Bitstream Charter, we used a font editing tool that
allowed one to copy characters to new positions, and then fiddle with
them.  However the copied characters lost the hinting that was there for
the originals.  It is possible to put the hinting in, but it's pretty
tedious.  Since the printed results at 300dpi and above is fine, I
personally haven't had the oomph to do anything about the hinting.

But as soon as I have some time ... (aaah ha ha ha ... crazed, maniac
laughter ...).

Dominik