Holi Discussion Appreciation

John Gardner jgardner at blue.weeg.uiowa.edu
Wed Feb 7 21:51:24 UTC 1996

an innocent semantic question on this matter, and perhaps presumptuous to
suggest re-interpretation of someone else' terminaology, but here goes-

could it not be that "chaos" was invoked--perhaps, still, in unforeseen
error--in the sense prescribed by the more revolutionary fringes of
sub-atomic physics?  if this were the case, it might actually be the
genesis of a terminology which could actually be fair in describing
cultural phenomena which do NOT easily mold themselves to stale
generalizations of english.  in addition, such a usage of the term
necessarily entails an admission on the part of the user (if, indeed,
this were how the term was intended) that ultimate "graha" of the topic
or issue is and will remain outside the purview of controllable,
manipulable, and deginable data quanta?

whether or not this was the case with the usage of the word which has
brought forth this controversy, i suggest consideration of these term
pools related to chaos theory as they are perhaps quite reflective of the
various ineffables entailed in study or discovery of the
cultural/temporal/ethnic "other".

tentatively,
john robert gardner
university of iowa