Holi Discussion Appreciation

Gene Thursby gthursby at religion.ufl.edu
Wed Feb 7 22:43:22 UTC 1996

	Again thanks to Mr. Rajagopalan for expressing his deep concern
about the wrongs of the past, about the possibility that contemporary
Indologists remain innocent of any knowledge of them, and about
unfortunate consequences that follow from their innocence.
	However, on evidence from the exchange of opinions to date, it
would seem that the members of this list (at any rate, those who have
chanced to respond to the initial query of Mr. White and the concern noted
several times by Mr. Rajagopalan) do not claim innocence.
	I am quite prepared to admit that it is a plausible and important
claim that colonial and Christian missionary interests did coincide
and did work to the detriment of the colonized in significant instances
in several parts of the world through, say, the middle of the 20th
century.  Moreover, there are people who remain pained by that history.
Therefore, it may continue to be a contextual factor in contemporary
study -- especially if undertaken by people who can be identified with
the (former) colonizers of the land, its people, and their minds and
spirits.
	That admitted (from this station), there are several other kinds
of issues in play in this thread of discussion.
	As Gananath Obeyesekere observed at length and very effectively
in his book The Work of Culture, most interpretive terms and concepts
employed in the humanities and social sciences are contended (not
settled) terms.  Although Mr. Rajagopalan is continuing to contend that
the term 'chaos' is not an appropriate one for interpreting any aspect of
the festival of Holi -because it is prima facie a demeaning term and
keeps alive in him the pain and sense of injustice that stems from a
history of oppression of Hindus by outsiders-, it could be (and I beleive
has been) contended on quite different grounds.
	That admitted (from this station), may I observe that (if we shift
the context to a more recent time-frame) it is unfortunate that
oppression seems not to have dimished since the bad old days of
colonialism, nor does any one human category seem any longer to
monopolize it.  Having spent considerable time among both Arya Samajists
and Sikhs in India, it would appear that contention, criticism, and
conflict are doing all too well these days -- and quite apart from the
colonial legacy.
	Perhaps, at this point, the discussion might be directed to a
question something like the following:  given that someone wants to study
Holi, how should they go about it, and what sort of interpretive
framework(s) might prove fruitful for advancing knowledge?  Otherwise, as
has been pointed out by other contributors to this thread, it might be
timely to rest or to shift to another kind of list.
	Humbly submitted for your consideration,
	Gene Thursby, U. of Florida