Archaeology of South Asia

MDSAAA48 at GIASMD01.VSNL.NET.IN MDSAAA48 at GIASMD01.VSNL.NET.IN
Mon Feb 5 07:27:26 UTC 1996

Dear Bob Cohen and indology members,

The Indus Sarasvati Research Centre needs the help of geologists in
analyzing geological data along the dried bed of Sarasvati river from the
Siwalik ranges thru Patiala, Kalibangan, Banawali, Guneriwala, Dholavira to
Rann of Kutch. As you may know, Guneriwala is an industrial site circa 2500
B.C. as large as Mohenjodaro and unearthed only in 1992! Satellite image
analysis shows the river's paleochannels as wide as 10 miles in some
stretches. there are hundreds of sites on the river bed and along the banks
of the river. The key work is to date the drying up of the river and link
with archaeological and linguistic evidences. It would appear that the vedic
and indus site civilizations were coexisting for nearly a millennium and the
migration tracts from the indus-sarasvati doab seem to have been eastward to
the ganga-yamuna doab and along the arabian sea coast to lothal and down to
Daimabad on the banks of Pravara, an estuary of Godavari river in South India.

Dr. Kalyanaraman,
Indus Sarasvati Research Centre,
20 Warren Road, Mylapore, Madras 600004
Tel. 91-44-4935871; 4936288; fax. 4996380;
email: mdsaaa48 at giasmd01.VSNL.net.in