Archaeology of South Asia

Francois.Voegeli at orient.unil.ch Francois.Voegeli at orient.unil.ch
Mon Feb 5 13:09:10 UTC 1996

Monday 5.2.1996, Dr Kalyanaraman wrote:

> As you may know, Guneriwala is an industrial site circa 2500
>B.C. as large as Mohenjodaro and unearthed only in 1992! Satellite image
>analysis shows the river's paleochannels as wide as 10 miles in some
>stretches. there are hundreds of sites on the river bed and along the banks
>of the river. The key work is to date the drying up of the river and link
>with archaeological and linguistic evidences. It would appear that the vedic
>and indus site civilizations were coexisting for nearly a millennium and the
>migration tracts from the indus-sarasvati doab seem to have been eastward to
>the ganga-yamuna doab and along the arabian sea coast to lothal and down to
>Daimabad on the banks of Pravara, an estuary of Godavari river in South India.

"As you may know": in fact I don't and I am very interested by that subject
also. I have never heard of that site and if it is really as big and as old
as Mohenjodaro, precise data should be made available to the scientific
community as soon as possible.
Does Dr. Kalyanaraman or anybody else has any more precise information
about that site (an excavation report, for example, will be fine) and can
tell me where I can get it.
Thanks in advance.
FV

Francois Voegeli
Fac. des lettres
Section de langues et civilisations orientales
Universite de Lausanne
BFSH 2
CH-1015

Tel.: (41.21) 692-2721