Hyphenation patterns and ITRANS/SKT/etc.

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 12 13:28:50 UTC 1996

On Wed, 11 Dec 1996, Anshuman Pandey wrote:

> I would like to know whether anyone here who uses ITRANS/SKT/etc. has
> found a successful method which allows for automatic hyphenation of
> devanaagarii in the LaTeX environment.

Both the Velthuis and the Wikner systems for using Devanagari with TeX and
LaTeX support the hyphenation of Devanagari.  Jun Takashima is doing very
interesting work on creating TeX hyphenation tables for transliterated
Sanskrit, and aims to bring this into the fold of Babel.

On the Velthuis hyphenation support, see
ftp://ftp.ucl.ac.uk/pub/users/ucgadkw/indology/software/
and the file devanagari-with-hyphenation.readme

Best wishes,
Dominik

--
Dominik Wujastyk               Wellcome Institute for the History of Medicine
email: d.wujastyk at ucl.ac.uk          183 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, England