definition of sAmAnAdhikara.nya

John Dunne jdunne at husc.harvard.edu
Tue Dec 3 23:59:22 UTC 1996

In her query on saamaanaadhikara.nya, Halina Marlewicz quoted the
following definition that she encountered in a "minor vi'si.s.taadvaita
text":

> "saamaanaadhikara.nya" : "binnaprav.rttinimittaanaam  'sabdaanaam
> ekasminnarthe saamaanaadhikara.nyam".

Dr. Marlewicz remarks that the definition is also found in Raamaanuja. In
addition, it is perhaps worth noting the following definition given by
Kar.nakagomin in his .tiikaa (p.149) on Dharmakiirti's *Svopaj~nav.rtti*:

bhinnanimittayo.h 'sabdayor ekasminn adhikara.ne v.rtti.h
saamaanaadhikara.nyam

The use of the dual can probably be explained by context, since
Kar.nakagomin is discussing the saamaanadhikara.nya of an expression for
a single dharma (such as *'sukla*) with an expression for a dharmin (such
as *a'sva*). This definition is clearly quite close to the one given
above, and my impression is that, in the context of discussion on
'sabdaartha, this type of definition was not generally disputed.

I too have found only the Kaa'sikaa's gloss to express a similar notion
in the grammatical tradition, and I would likewise welcome any further
references from within the grammatical tradition or from texts of other
traditions (I have found no precise gloss in the works of
Praaciinanaiyaayikas thus far, but I would certainly expect there to be
such a gloss somewhere). In any case, I would be surprised to find any
significant variance on the basic definition of saamaanaadhikara.nya when
it is understood in the context of 'sabdaartha. Nevertheless, any further
glosses or similar citations would be most welcome (especially any that
contradict my claim!).

I am curious, by the way, about translations for the term in English.
When the term implies an ontological committment (as, for example, when
'suklatva and a'svatva are thought to be somehow instantiated in the same
locus), "co-instantiation" seems to work fairly well. Where the notion of
an ontological committment needs to be avoided for some reason, the
perhaps less satisfactory "co-referentiality" might be satisfactory. Any
thoughts or suggestions for other translations?

adhikara.na'sabda.h abhidheyavaacii / samaanaadhikara.na.h
samaanaabhidheya.h

--
John Dunne
Study of Religion