definition of sAmAnAdhikara.nya

Halina Marlewicz HMARLE at Vela.filg.uj.edu.pl
Tue Dec 3 15:06:21 UTC 1996

Dear Members of the indology list,

   In one the minor Vi'si.s.taadvaaita text there appears a
definition of "saamaanaadhikara.nya" (congruence).
The definition is quoted as one found in "Mahaabhaa.sya" under
suutra 3.2.124.

I am a bit baffled to find, that no such definition can be found
there. That is, the very word appears, but defined in a bit different
way and as applied to a linguistic context different from that spoken
of in the Vi'si.s.taadvaita text.

Can anyone help me to find out, whether anywhere in
Mahaabhaa.sya appears the following definition of
"saamaanaadhikara.nya" : "binnaprav.rttinimittaanaam  'sabdaanaam
ekasminnarthe saamaanaadhikara.nyam".
Congruence defined in precisely the same manner can be found in
Raamaanuja's work.

The ony purely linguistic definition
somehow similar to the one quoted above appears in Vaamana and
Jayaaditya's "Kaa'sikavrtti" to suutra 2.1.49.

with best regards,

Halina Marlewicz
Institute of Oriental Philology
Indology Dept.