Submergence of archaeological sites

Hueckstedt hueckst at cc.UManitoba.CA
Mon Aug 12 19:26:49 UTC 1996

This may be old news, but . . .

I recently did a narch search for information about the Narmada Sagar dam
project in Madhya Pradesh. One of the articles that I received in that
context is from Feb. 1995 and states:

"Areas of archaeological importance and remnants of archaeological
monuments would be submerged because of the Sardar Sarovar, Narmada Sagar
and Indira Sagar projects currently under implementation.

"This was stated by the Deputy Chief Minister, Mr. Subhash Yadav in a
written reply to a question from Mr. Sunil Jain of the Congress (I).

"The minister said that these three projects would lead to the
submergence of 24 archaeological sites and 56 remnants, temples or other
archaeological material."

this article was printed.

I hope that my colleagues interested in archaeology are on top of these
developments.

Bob Hueckstedt

Robert A. Hueckstedt, Associate Professor of Indic Languages
Asian Studies Centre, 328 Fletcher Argue, University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2 Canada
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/arts/asian_studies
fax 1 204-275-5781 phones 1 204-474-8964, 1 204-488-4797