Jyotishii Query

mgansten at sbbs.se mgansten at sbbs.se
Fri Apr 19 19:08:22 UTC 1996

Yvette Rosser wrote:

>What is the significance of the of the North and South nodes of the moon?
>
>How much emphasis or importance are they given in the Indian horoscope?
>
>Viewed by western astrology, Rahu is seen as an element of Indic astrology
>and symbolizes karma and reincarnation.  Popular western astrology more or
>less ignores the nodes.  How important are they  in the Indian system(s).

The nodes, known as rAhu (north node) and ketu (south node), are rarely
mentioned in what is generally considered to be the oldest stratum of
astrological texts (such as varAhamihira's bR^ihajjAtaka), but in classical
texts, they are no less important than the other seven 'planets', from the
Sun to Saturn. The most universally used mehod of astrological
prognostication, a 120-year planetary cycle based on the 'natural' life
expectancy in kaliyuga and known as viMs'ottarIdas'A, allots a total of 25
years to the nodes. And of course, in temples where images of the planetary
deities are installed, there are -- to my knowledge at least -- always nine
of them (navagraha): the Sun, the Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus,
Saturn, Rahu, and Ketu.

I'm not sure if this answers your question about the 'significance' of the
nodes, or if you had in mind their astrological connotations as well. (I
suppose most of us on this list are in some sense governed by rAhu, who
represents foreigners, barbarians, mlecchas -- although there may be a few
ketu people out there, too: wise men, renunciates, mumukshus...)

Martin Gansten
mgansten at sbbs.se