NON INDOLOGY BUT URGENT ACTION

zydenbos at flevoland.xs4all.nl zydenbos at flevoland.xs4all.nl
Sat Apr 13 19:13:12 UTC 1996

Replies to msg 12 Apr 96: indology at liverpool.ac.uk (ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk)

For whatever it's worth, I think I should send in a few words in support of
Dominik Wujastyk's position.

INDOLOGY is not an American newsgroup - it is an international scholarly
discussion group. V. Pinto's posting concerns an American social affair.
Whatever all the overseas recipients may feel / think about the matter, we
cannot do anything about it anyway. In other words: the posting does not serve
any useful purpose.

There are American forums where these things can be discussed, on and off the
Internet, e.g. all the alt.soc... and alt.culture... groups.

Another consideration is that we have to pay for whatever appears here (no free
local telephone calls outside North America!). In India I have to pay long
distance telephone charges to contact the Internet server, on a poor telephone
line that tolerates a maximum modem speed of 2400 bps (and there is no fancy
automatic compression software on the servers! only slow ASCII downloads! no
free E-mail mailboxes at our offices!).

(So we also had to pay for that long, pirated article from Time magazine -
which is superficial and concerns Americans only.)

In view of these obvious truths, V. Pinto's posting is actually, paradoxically,
asocial. It also sets an unpleasant precedent in that if Indian recipients
start posting such calls in reaction to similar cases in India (which are
_much_ more frequent, and often _much_ worse!), INDOLOGY will be clogged up in
no time with nothing else - and again, to no useful purpose.

Robert Zydenbos
Internet: zydenbos at flevoland.xs4all.nl

|                      RBBS Flevoland Internet Gateway                   |
| RBBS Flevoland, Almere-Stad, The Netherlands +31-36-5363720 ZyXEL 19k2 |
| fax +31-36-5363720                           +31-36-5367160 V34+  33k6 |
| Member of Team-OS/2, 7 cdrom's online        +31-36-5360688 ISDNC 64k0 |