your TIME posting

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Apr 12 11:33:49 UTC 1996

Dear Ganesan,

As has often been said in this forum, the rule of thumb for INDOLOGY
postings is to keep them to one or two screenfuls.  That is about 4k.

Please do not post long postings such as the Time article again.  Feel
free to draw people's attention to its existence and interest, but
please do not submit the whole text.  Especially in the present case,
the publication is very widely available at newsagents, and there is no
problem whatsoever in anyone finding and reading it.

We all discover interesting, India-related articles all the time.  The
latest issues of JRAS and JAOS, for example, have highly important
review articles about the history of writing in India, and the date of
the Buddha, which are of interest to the general reader as well as to
professional indologists.  But we can't all just type out and mass-email
copies of everything we find interesting to every member of INDOLOGY.

All other considerations of bandwidth, etc., apart, your posting is a
gross breach of copyright, which could easily get you intro trouble with
the publishers of Time magazine.  It could conceivably cause trouble for
the INDOLOGY list too, if the publishers decided to take an aggressive
attitude to your copyright infringement and pursue us as distributors.

Dominik Wujastyk