Seeking information on Vedic recensions.

Masato Fujii fujii at zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Fri Oct 20 02:46:37 UTC 1995

Anshuman Pandey <apandey at u.washington.edu> wrote:
>Members,
>
>I have been trying to find information about the Samaveda in terms of the
>upavedas, vedangas, upanishads, brahmanas, srauta sutras, and other
>various writings which originated from it. Accordingly, I am also
>looking for information about the saakhas, chaaranas, etc. and other
>recensions by which the Samaveda was studied and passed down.
>
>Is there a "vedic encyclopedia" of sorts which details this sort of
>information, or am I asking for too much?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Anshuman Pandey

The following books and articles are to be consulted. Most of them contain
bibliographies of the editions of Saamavedic texts and further references.

<General Surveys of Saamavedic 'saakhaas and texts>

Caland, W.: Die Jaiminiiya-Sa.mhitaa mit einer Einleitung "uber die
Saamavedaliteratur. [Indische Forschungen]. Breslau 1907. (basic refenence!)

Caland, W.: Pa‾ncavi.m'sa-Braahma.na: The Braahma.na of Twenty Five Chapters.
[Bibliotheca Indica, No. 255]. Calcutta 1931. (pp. i-ix on Saamaveic Texts)

Renou, L.: Les 'Ecoles v'ediques et la formation du Veda. Paris 1947. (pp.
87-129 on Saamaveda)

Parpola, A.: The Literature and Study of the Jaiminiiya Saamaveda in Retrospect
and Prospect. [Studia Orientalia 43:6]. Helsinki 1973.

Tsuji, N.: "Genzon Saamaveda-bunken no gaikan (Sa.mhitaa-hen)" (in Japanese).
In: Tsuji Naoshiro Chosakushuu (Tokyo 1981), Vol. 1, 317-344.

<Saamavedic chant>

Howard, W.: Saamavedic Chant. New Haven and London: Yale University Press,
1977.

<Saamavedic Braahma.nas and Upani.sads>

Caland, W.: Pa‾ncavi.m'sa-Braahma.na. (listed above)

Bodewitz, H. W.: Jaiminiiya Braahma.na I, 1-65. Leiden 1973.
Bodewitz, H. W.: The Jyoti.s.toma Ritual. Jaiminiiya Braahm.na I, 66-364.
Leiden 1990.

Fujii, M.: "Saishoki-Upanishaddo-bunken no seiritsu to densho
--Jaiminiiya-Upani.sad-Braahma.na kenkyuu-jyosetsu--," Machikaneyama Ronso
(Philosophy) 23, Osaka University, 13-25. (the English and revised version
entitled "On the Formation and Transmission of the Jaiminiiya-Upani.sad-
Braahma.na" will be soon published in Harvard).

<Saamavedic 'Srautasuutras>

Parpola, A.: The 'Srautasuutras of Laa.tyaayana and Draahyaaya.na and their
commentaries. An English translation and study. 2 vols. Helsinki 1968-69.

Masato FUJII
E-mail: fujii at zinbun.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Phone: +81-75-753-6949
Fax: +81-75-753-6903