Seeking information on Vedic recensions.

Asko H S Parpola aparpola at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Oct 20 05:57:26 UTC 1995

On Thu, 19 Oct 1995, Anshuman Pandey wrote:

> Members,
>
> I have been trying to find information about the Samaveda in terms of the
> upavedas, vedangas, upanishads, brahmanas, srauta sutras, and other
> various writings which originated from it. Accordingly, I am also
> looking for information about the saakhas, chaaranas, etc. and other
> recensions by which the Samaveda was studied and passed down.
>
> Is there a "vedic encyclopedia" of sorts which details this sort of
> information, or am I asking for too much?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Anshuman Pandey

You can consult Louis Renou's Bibliographie vedique (1931) and the five
volumes of R. N. Dandekar's Vedic bibliography (1946-1993), and Jan
Gonda's Vedic literature and The ritual Suutras (A history of Indian
literature I: 1-2, 1975-7). Best regards,

---

Asko Parpola  (E-mail Asko.Parpola at Helsinki.Fi)
Department of Asian and African Studies, Univ. of Helsinki