Personal Papers of F. Max Muller

WITZEL at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU WITZEL at HUSC3.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Jan 9 17:59:59 UTC 1995

As far as I remember the personal papers and some Indian MSS of Max
Mueller had been sold/given to the (Imperial) University of Tokyo where
they perished in the Kanto fire following the big earthquake of 1923. However, rotographs of
some MSS were made and they should still be at Oxford (probably in the
Bodleian Libr.)
Our colleagues in Japan will be able to find out more. It probably is best
to ask someone at the Toyo Bunko (Library) .

Michael Witzel

<Chair, Dept. of Sanskrit and Indian Studies, 53 Church Street, Harvard
University, Cambridge MA 01238.-- ph. 617 495 3295, 496 8570, fax 496 8570>