Personal Papers of F. Max Muller

SILK at AC.GRIN.EDU SILK at AC.GRIN.EDU
Wed Jan 11 19:25:51 UTC 1995

Prof.  Witzel wrote that

>As far as I remember the personal papers and some Indian MSS of Max
>Mueller had been sold/given to the (Imperial) University of Tokyo where
>they perished in the Kanto fire following the big earthquake of 1923.

He further suggested contacting the Toyo Bunko in this regard.  I do not
know whether or not Mueller's papers were ever sent to Tokyo, but in any
case, if the recipient was Tokyo Univ. there would be no point in
contacting the Toyo Bunko.  The latter is formally part of the National
Diet Library (since after the war), and has never been associated with
Tokyo Univ.  (A history of the Toyo Bunko was given somewhere, in English,
by ENOKI Kazuo, but I cannot recall where it was published.  It should be
included in the English volume of his collected works, now in the course of
publication.)  The Toyo Bunko does possess a stupendous collection of
Indologica, that being largely the collection of the late Prof. TSUJI
Naoshiro.  Much of this regrettably remains uncatalogued (at the last I
heard, but this information is a few years old).  While there are excellent
Tibetan xylographs and perhaps manuscripts in the Toyo Bunko (under the
care of FUKUDA Yoichi), I do not know of Skt. or Indic MSS.  Perhaps the
person to contact in this regard at the Toyo Bunko is the Indian historian
YAMAZAKI Gen'ichi.   As for the situation at Tokyo University, now that
HARA Minoru has retired I do not know who would be the person best able to
answer questions about their collection: perhaps Prof. EJIMA ?

Jonathan Silk
SILK at AC.GRIN.EDU